Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thank you Mama T!

Last weekend the hubs and I went to visit his best friend. His best friend is slightly odd for a guy- he loves to cook! While I was copying some of his favorite recipes I asked him for a tremendous favor. For the past six years I have heard tales of the fantastic pumpkin role created by said friend's mother, Mama T, as we call her. Oddly enough, our friend didn't have his own mother's recipe in his recipe box. He called his mum and jotted down the recipe and was subsequently lectured about specific instructions (stressing to mix the eggs on high for five minutes, not low!). It was rather entertaining.

Monday night the hubs and I went to the grocery store armed with our recipe and purchased our ingredients. I'm not going to lie, I was really nervous about messing this pumpkin roll up. This thing is regarded with such fondness by my hubs that I was worried I was putting my cooking reputation on the line by attempting to compete with Mama T.

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I'm thrilled to report that the hubs loved the pumpkin roll. Loved may not be the quite way to put it. It's Saturday and the pumpkin roll is gone already. My brother-in-law got to eat two pieces and my hubs claimed the rest of it. FYI- it has a cream cheese icing and I can't stand cream cheese, so all I had was one small little bite, but that was my choice.

Today, while the hubs and I were preparing our grocery list we realized that we still have quite a bit of pumpkin left over. I mentioned that I might make a pumpkin spice cake, but the hubs quickly shot that down and said we should make another pumpkin roll for him to take into his office on Monday. That sounded reasonable enough. Then, after we went grocery shopping I realized we had enough cream cheese to make three pumpkin rolls.

The hubs response, "so, we can make another one tonight and then two more tomorrow. One of them should definitely make it into the office on Monday."

I kid you not, when he said that he really sounded like there was a slight chance he might eat all of them before Monday morning. I take this as positive sign that I didn't mess up his loved pumpkin roll. Thank goodness!!!

(I'm sorry, but I don't think I can share the recipe. I haven't asked yet and I don't want to anger Mama T. I'd like to get a few more recipes from her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment