Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oven Caramel Corn

I'm trying to ignore the torrential downpour that has ruined my Saturday afternoon. Honestly, who wants to go pumpkin picking in weather like this? Not me!

Last Saturday, I made this simple and tasty treat for some friends. We went on a voyage to a haunted hayride, which turned out to be a bust, but I knew I'd want something sweet to snack on while standing in line. Straight from the pages of Betty Crocker (don't judge me!), here is a very easy to make treat.

Ingredients:
15 cups popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees.

2. Place popcorn in two ungreased 13 x 9 inch pans.

3. Heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in 2-quart (don't slack and use a 1.5) saucepan over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until bubbly around edges. Continue cooking 5 minutes without stirring; remove from heat. Stir in baking soda until foamy (this is where you'll make a mess if you slacked and used a 1.5 quart saucepan).

4. Pour sugar mixture over popcorn; toss until evenly coated.

5. Bake 1 hour; stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on aluminum foil or cooking parchment paper. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Store tightly covered and try not to eat in one sitting.


That's it. Like I said, super-duper-easy! Anything that calls for a cup of packed brown sugar is good in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment