Wednesday, December 31, 2008

See you later 2008

It seems like the natural thing to do today is to reflect upon this past year. 2008 definitely had some up and down moments for myself. I don't think I'm quite ready yet to share all of the downs with everyone, so instead I'll focus on the positives. Here's my best memories of 2008:

Meeting New People-
Moving to Baltimore was incredibly nerve racking. I didn't know anyone except for a few friends and co-workers that my husband introduced me to. Thankfully, my local Nest board is amazing and I've had the pleasure of meeting some pretty incredible women over the past year. Even though I communicate with them mainly through the online world, they're fantastic women and have given me so many wonderful recommendations that I now feel comfortable calling Baltimore home.

Baltimore Sports & Social Club-
I thought my team athletics days ended in college. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the hubs and I could play dodgeball, softball and football with other adults. Bonus points for sponsored drinking activities after our games. Plus, it's not just fun, we played in a charity event that raised thousands of dollars for two non-profit organizations. Sign me up!!!

Exploring Baltimore-
When the hubs and I first moved the area, back in July 2007, we were too busy with wedding planning and adjusting to really get out and see the sights. Thankfully, we each made a list of things we wanted to see in the area (coupled with a few Nestie suggestions) and we started to explore our new area. Okay, we picked the hottest day of the year to visit the zoo, but it was still a good time. I'm still adjusting to sidewalks, 24 hour grocery stores, walk signals, noise and parking garages, but I think coming from a tiny little town that doesn't even have a single traffic light to where I am now... I'm adjusting quite nicely.

Super Bowl Champs!

Uh hello, the New York Football Giants won the Super Bowl! Jax and I were total jocks and wore our Manning jerseys during the game. After a few pathetic postseason appearances by the Yankees (and one non-existent postseason) my faith in NY athletics was being questioned. Plus, did anyone really think Eli Manning would ever win a Super Bowl??? Peyton, yes, but Eli?

Living an hour away from my best friend-
Those grad school years were difficult when I was in Delaware and she was in New York City. Our visits were drastically limited to once a semester. Thank goodness we see each other monthly now. We do need to work on our shopping skills though. Somehow when we go shopping together we hardly ever buy anything. That's great for our mutual wallets, but not for our closets!

Getting in touch with my inner Martha-
I grew plants from seeds! I carved pumpkins! I tried new recipes! I came up with new cleaning tricks! I started to decorate our house! Of course not everything I tried came out perfectly, but I tried. I think that's a pretty good start.

Road Trips-
Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York and western Maryland were all visited by a hyper red head this year. I hate flying and haven't been on a plane since my honeymoon (driving to Brazil really wasn't feasible). I'd much rather drive and jam to tunes along the way. Of course it helps that many of this year's destinations had a Sheetz stop along the way.

No more school!

Unless I decide to go to law school or pursue my Ph.d, I'm done with school. I was the first person from my family to obtain my Bachelor's Degree and now I've one upped my status and finished my Master's Degree.

Camden Yards-
I think I've made my love for baseball abundantly clear, but here it goes again. The hubs and I finally counted them up and we went to an astonishing 35 games this year at Camden Yards. The thought of how many hot dogs I consumed through the months of April to September is somewhat gross, but they were tasty at the time. The hubs and I went to a Raven's game this past Sunday and I begged him to let us walk along Eutaw Street instead of through the parking lots. April will be here before we know it and I can't wait to see how many games we go to this year. Who knows, maybe the O's will even win a few more games this year.

2008 Summer Olympics-
I don't even think I need to remind everyone how awesome the Olympics were. Swimming, beach volleyball, women's soccer, track & field, water polo and table tennis consumed my life for those too few August days. My best Olympic memory- celebrating with random strangers after a Micheal Phelps victory. Sure, watching the women's soccer team win gold was pretty impressive, but the random crowd at Starbucks just showed how everyone gets caught up in Olympic fever.

Family bonds-
Driving my brother to New York for his knee surgery wasn't fun, but the combined eight hours of car ride conversation was enjoyable. Celebrating my mom's 50th birthday in July was definitely a good time. Crazy shenanigans with my brother-in-law provided lots of entertainment (I did accidentally punch him in the ribs during a haunted hay ride). Having the most mature conversation I've ever had with my dad was a big wake up for both of us. Receiving e-mails from my sister that bluntly read, "get on IM!" always made me laugh. Meeting up with my aunt and uncle for lunch and a trip to Longwood Gardens was tons of fun. Celebrating Christmas in New York with everyone will stay on my mind for most of 2009.

Jax and Jewels-
They're cute, cuddly, entertaining, dramatic, opinionated and the furriest blankets. They are mini versions of kids. Hopefully, after dealing with all of their chaos, the hubs and I will be somewhat ready to have kids when we're 30 (oh crap, that's only 4 years away!!!).

Losing our newlywed status-
That's right, we're no longer newlyweds! We went out with a bang and had a fantastic anniversary weekend. That's right, not a single day, but a three day party!

The hubs-
He dropped everything to take care of me when my grandfather left this world. Those rough times just further cemented how incredible my hubs treats me. He makes me cappuccino whenever I want some. After almost seven years of being together he still opens and closes my car door. He watches my tv shows (okay, he isn't thrilled with Prison Break, but he likes SVU). He takes the dogs out on weekend mornings to let me have a few extra minutes of sleep. He tells me my cooking tastes good (there have definitely been a few white lies in there). He puts the worm on my fishing hook because he knows I think worms are gross. He finally ran a 5k just because I've been begging him to. He calls me out when I'm acting like a crazy person. His idea of a small present is a diamond necklace. He knows when I need my space. He doesn't swear... ever! Even though our anniversary fell on a Monday, he insisted on taking two days off from work so we could celebrate properly. He watches soccer games with me. He lies and tells me he can't tell I've put on weight. He makes me laugh every day. He does the dishes. He trusted me enough to teach him how to ski. He challenges me to be a better person. He absolutely adores me and I happen to think he's an amazing person as well. I consider myself lucky ever single day because he's in my life.



So there you go. 2008 was a pretty decent year. You hear that 2009? The ball is in your court now.

No comments:

Post a Comment