Thursday, August 14, 2008

Did I just eat that?

I'm not a "Fear Factor" person. I have friends who used to watch that show religiously, but I couldn't stand the sight of contestants eating any of the gross stuff placed before them. I have a pretty strong gag reflex, needless to say, I don't think I could ever have been a participant. I guess my dream of dating George Clooney via winning a television show is down the drain, oh well.

Anyway, like most married couples my husband and I saved the top layer of our wedding cake. We joked with each other that there was no way it would survive a whole year in our freezer. I think we both figured that when we were out of ice cream one night that cake would start to look mighty tempting and we'd both cave. Well, our first anniversary has come and gone and the cake still lives. We didn't bring the cake with us to dinner Monday night, but we did manage to pull it out of the freezer and start the de-thawing process.


We figured the cake had been frozen for over a year now and deserved a few days to chill in the fridge. Tonight was the night we deemed the cake ready for devouring. I must say I was definitely hesitant to eat something that I knew was over a year old. This wasn't a can of spam, but a cake. My husband and I both looked at each other before biting in with an expression that said, "I hope this doesn't taste gross!"

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Just the bottom layer was a bit dry, everything else was very tasty. I forgot how rich and creamy this cake tasted. Yeah, I totally used this as an excuse to use our china. Hey, how often do you use your china?

No comments:

Post a Comment