Saturday, November 19, 2011

No Excuses!

Old soccer t-shirt from college that says, "No Excuses" on the back. I've had this shirt for so long and will keep it until it literally disintegrates.

Just Do It

That's probably one of the best sports marketing campaigns of all time. Seriously, shut up, stop whining, and just do it!

Ah Nike, how I love you.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to continue on my journey to find my inner runner. I know that person is in there somewhere. While I haven't trained for this next marathon like I would have wanted to that's the last time I'm going to say it. I'm going to hop on a train in a few hours, head to Philly, and enjoy myself for the next two days.

Tomorrow morning it's on like Donkey Kong!

While I run another 26.2 miles tomorrow morning I know I'm going to have to dig deep and pull out some mental toughness to finish the race. With that in mind, I'm going to blow through these excuses and tell them to shut up.

Excuses for not running: (in no particular order)

  • It's dark outside.
  • It's cold outside.
  • It's raining.
  • It's hot.
  • I'm tired.
  • I worked all day.
  • I ran yesterday.
  • I just ate dinner.
  • I need to make dinner.
  • I need to take the dogs for a walk.
  • My foot hurts.
  • My back hurts.
  • I have dodgeball, softball, or football.
  • I have work to do.
  • The _______ needs to be cleaned.
  • The hubs won't go running with me.
  • I'm in ______ city and don't feel comfortable running outside.
  • I hate treadmills.
  • I just don't feel like it.


It's kind of funny, but thinking of all of the excuses I've thrown out there usually ticks me off and drives me forward in a run. It's that mental push I'm counting on somewhere around mile 20 to get me through that last 10k.

This year I have a leg up on my mental toughness because I've done this once before. I've run 26.2 miles before. Been there, done that! Whereas last year there was 6.2 miles where I thought to myself, "this is the farthest you've ever run! I hope you can handle it!"

Tomorrow when I'm running I'm going to remind myself of all those people out there in the world who have serious excuses for not moving and yet they do it anyway. The cancer survivor, the wounded warrior, the paraplegic, the asthmatic, etc. Basically, just anyone who has been told in life more than once, "you can't run a marathon."

Last year I saw a guy will himself forward in the Marine Corps Marathon with one arm. I have two legs and two arms, so what's my excuse?

Alright Philadelphia Marathon - let's do this thing!

1 comment:

  1. I'm late...but good luck! Hope you did awesome!

    I'm a freaking expert as excuses and I like your way of taking those excuses all together and making it into motivation - I should do that!

    ReplyDelete