Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wanted: Girl Scout Cookies for Thin Mint Truffles



Confession: I was a girl scout as a child. Oh hell, who am I kidding? I was a girl scout all the way through high school. While my time in the scouts probably didn't teach me everything I know about camping it has taught me to ignore small children trying to sell you things outside of a store.

Been there, done that! I know your bag of tricks!

However, my kryptonite is Thin Mint cookies. I may or may not have a box of Thin Mints and Tagalogs stashed in my desk. Crap, I just outed my stash.

The Thin Mint problem is so large at my house that even the hubs is hiding boxes of green goodness. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was going to make Thin Mint Truffles and I was going to use a whole box of green cookies in the process.

Armed with a simple recipe, first seen on Pinterest and located at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, I assembled my ingredients for truffle making.

Yeah, three whole ingredients: box of Thin Mints, 60z bar of dark chocolate , and 4oz of softened cream cheese. The directions say this will make about 24 truffles. I made 26, which means my truffle measuring skills weren't that far off the mark!


Step 1: Crush Thin Mints. You can either use a food processor or go old school like me and throw your cookies in a large freezer bag (Ziploc is a brand people, not the type of bag!) and crush your cookies with a rolling pin.



Step 2: Add crushed cookies to cream cheese. I tried with a spoon and fork, but quickly realized I was going to have to make this a hands on project.

Step 3: Roll into 1 inch balls and place on wax lined baking pan.


Step 3.5: Clean off a shelf in your fridge so that you can proceed to Step 4. Bonus points for using a pan in Step 3 that will actually fit in your fridge!

Step 4: Stash your truffles in the fridge for 30 minutes.

This is where I had another glass of wine to match the hubs' Jack and Coke consumption. The dude was making chili for dinner and it was fun to cook together.


Step 5: Melt your chocolate. I went with the double broiler technique.

Step 6: Use a toothpick or fork and dip truffles in melted chocolate. Do not feel afraid to move chocolate back to the stove to keep it fluid if you're taking a while to coat your truffles.

Step 7: Decorate your truffles! Add sprinkles, nonpareils, icing, crushed cookies, etc. or leave them in their natural chocolate state.

(Wiggle! Wiggle!)
Step 8: Refrigerate until firm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment